Tuesday 22 September 2009

More Doggy Problems!

Further to my previous post regarding "Puppy Pandemonium"
I've been having more issues with next door's dogs today.


This started this morning when I heard a commotion coming from the kitchen. First, came a hissing from my moggies. Then when I went to investigate, there was a huge dog (an American bulldog) with its head through the cat flap! Luckily this was the only part of the dog that would fit through! I couldn't believe my eyes!
Once I'd got over the initial shock, two questions came into my mind. How did this dog manage to get in to an enclosed garden, and (perhaps more importantly) how can I get it out again? Although I do like dogs, and this one did seem friendly, I was particularly concerned about my cats at this point. however, the situation would get much worse before it got better!
I ventured out into the garden, which admittedly is a bit of a jungle, but couldn't immediately see how to get this dog home. So I went next door, and knocked, hoping there would be someone home. There wasn't. The other problem is that we don't really know our neighbours, as they haven't been around very long.

I went back out into the garden for another look. This time I found the answer. There was a fence panel which had become detached a the bottom, which allowed the dog to push through one way. I tried to open the gap again to let the dog back through, but it didn't want to go, and was very, very strong! As I tried to get the dog back, a second one (one of the puppies from before) shoved its way in! Now I had two to contend with!



I was even more worried now, so took a look outside again, in case the owners were home. No luck, however our neighbour from across the road had just returned home. I asked if he knew who these people were, and how I could get in touch with them. He also had no idea. At that moment, the dog owner's neighbour from the other side walked past. We asked her, and she had a number to contact them - finally some luck! She told us that these were now the only two dogs left next door, and that they were the mother (Stella) and one of the puppies (Buster). They had invaded her house the other day, and frightened her dogs! She agreed to contact the owners for me, so all I had to do was wait and hope they didn't cause any trouble. So I waited.

After about half an hour, I heard another noise in the kitchen. I went to investigate, and found that Buster had managed to squeeze through the cat flap and was now in the kitchen! Stella meanwhile, had her head back through the cat flap, and was whining. She obviously wanted to come in too! I tried to get Buster to go out, but the only way to do this was to open the door, giving Stella the opportunity to force her way in. They were both really strong dogs, and flatly refused to leave the house. Every time I got them out, they would force their way back in!

Eventually, they became too strong for me and forced themselves into the house. They ran upstairs, chasing Ziggy outside, and then pushed into the living room. They ran around, knocking over my expensive guitar, then chasing Bob out in the process. Still chasing Bob, they ran out into the garden, where they continued to chase him. Fortunately, by this time, help had arrived. Our neighbour from over the road had come to help. He said he could have them in his garden, where they could stay until the owners came to take them home. As we went out into the garden, we saw that the owners had returned. They had lifted up the fence panel, and were calling the dogs back home. However, the dogs were more intent on chasing and tormenting poor Bob behind the tree at the back of the garden!

Eventually, the dogs were returned. I'm now faced with a new problem. A couple of hours have gone by, and there was suddenly no sign of Bob! I called him for hours, with no response. Now I was really worried! I was about to set out to search for him, when...


luckily, Bob returned home by himself a few hours later. What a relief! I think they'll be getting an extra portion of fish tonight to help them recover from their scary morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment